50nights-My Quest to Camp 50 Nights in a Year

It's definitely not the most extreme adventure goal out there.

But… with a wife, two kids, a dog, full-time job, and a mortgage, it might turn out to be more of an adventure than I think!

The plan is to have lots of diversity from a solo, winter backpacking trip, to a family campout in our pop-up in the middle of an RV park.



Buy Patagonia at MasseysOutfitters.com

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

6-8/50 Sedona, AZ

“Camping”
Sedona, AZ Jan 16th-18th
I guess the cool thing about doing something like 50nights is I can make up the rules as I go along. It seems like the definition of camping comes up a lot for me. It probably comes up the most when I’m staring at a NO CAMPING sign. For me and for the purpose of this blog, Camping is kind of traveling and going without certain comforts of home so as to enjoy new experiences and places. Staying in a small house with lots of people, riding all day, and having a good time all night is much more the “camping” I want to do than say, staying by yourself in a luxury RV in not that cool of a place. So, with that I’m counting my two nights I stayed in Sedona, with the Over The Edge crew.

And man what a time it was… Sedona is a cool place, especially for mountain bikers, tons of trails all ride-able right out of town. The trails are very cool, just that right mix of challenges, scenery, and some sweet flow. It was so cool to meet up with people from home, and local Alaskan snowbird, Doug. We stopped by Doug’s house for a great pre-ride Irish latte then he guided some of the super local trails. I could have easily Hung out there till spring. But after 3 days of riding, it was time to come home. Now, I'm looking forward to some warmer temps at home and the possibility of some more traditional family campouts.

On the way down, I stopped at Mexican Hat (the rock not the town) for lunch. Man that thing looks cool - much more impressive than Balanced Rock. I had a beer for George Hayduke as I’m reading the Monkey Wrench Gang right now, so it was doubly cool to trace through all the same ground they covered in the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment