50nights-My Quest to Camp 50 Nights in a Year

It's definitely not the most extreme adventure goal out there.

But… with a wife, two kids, a dog, full-time job, and a mortgage, it might turn out to be more of an adventure than I think!

The plan is to have lots of diversity from a solo, winter backpacking trip, to a family campout in our pop-up in the middle of an RV park.



Buy Patagonia at MasseysOutfitters.com

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

9/50 Moab, UT

Time Travel’n
Moab, UT Feb 13th
I imagine that just about everyone I would call a “mountain biker” has had this feeling. The feeling of being at a cool spot, with an amazing view and the thought crosses your mind “one day I’m going to pack up just a bag and come out here and spend the night”. So with all the trails still covered in snow it was as good of time as any, and with a little spark from Landon, we headed up to a cool arch in Moab (not in Arches NP!). While at Landon’s in-laws, Andy (Landon’s brother-in-law) was easily talked into the little adventure and luckily for us served as guide to our late night hike in.

Our hike was another reminder of why I don’t rock climb anymore, and if there was any remainder of doubt the down climbing on the way back would definitely remove it!! (I suck at it!!)
Looking up at the night sky on quiet, cold (25ish deg low), moonless night really has to be one of my favorite experiences. There wasn’t a single sign of civilization to be seen, our short drive and hike from Moab had seemed to take us a million years back in time, with the exception of a few planes drifting across the night sky. The contrast seems quite stark between my visions of travelers sipping drinks stuffed in an airtight tube thousands of feet in the air to our experience down on the ground.

Definitely something I’ll have to revisit down the road.

On the way out of town I stopped at slick rock and did a few turns on the south slopes.

No comments:

Post a Comment